Tuesday 25 September 2012

Mind Over Matter

"Stand and deliver
Your body, or your mind!"

Of course you have little control over which you lose and when. But if you had the option, the choice of which to forgo, which would you go for? When asked, I cannot help but conjure the image of a highway man, armed and masked, threatening 'Your money or your life!'

Sat at the bar of our pub tonight were two old regulars. One was a demolitions expert for many years. While he is physically quite fit, a stroke some years ago affected his speech and cognition. With him was an ex-accountant. A small man whose body is failing him. Ravaged internally by bacteria and disease; withered externally by terrible muscular atrophy. Though his body is letting him down, his mind doesn't miss a trick. Apparently he is as quick-witted these days as he was 50 years ago. Seeing the dichotomy presented between these two men, I began thinking about which state I would rather be in.

I've recently been experiencing the position of the latter man - that of a tired body and a fresh mind. I rise each morning at 5.45am to walk 4 miles and travel two hours by bus. As you can imagine this activity takes its toll, leaving me aching and exhausted towards the end of the week. Why, even now, I am laid in bed forcing my body to stay awake and active while my mind puts pen to paper. Truth be told I am unsure which I would rather maintain, body or mind, if the other had to waste away. Luckily such decisions are somewhat out of my hands...

~

An interesting and brief aside. During the summer I bought some of John Green's books (an author who encourages people to leave notes in the front of his books for new readers). As I was buying books and taking notes, I felt it only fitting to pen a few brief notes of my own - for future bookshop customers.
Low and behold, three months later, I get a message out of the blue. A message from a girl who travelled to my city during the summer and happened across my note while she was shopping. To see something of mine in the hands of a person I'll never meet, and to know that little scrap of paper brightened their day, and is special to them is truly uplifting.

Now my note resides across the sea, cheering up someone I may never have known...

Who says writing isn't special?


5 comments:

  1. Hurray for real handwriting and scraps of paper! That's a tactile reality we've all moved too far away from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - I wish I sent more letters and wrote more notes instead of clicking away at a brightly lit screen. Perhaps it's a move for the future (:

      Delete
  2. I love this post. Your blog is uplifting, well written and encouraging. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Linda Della Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much (: My pleasure - great to get some feedback off better writers :P

      Delete
  3. Hi Sam,

    I finally got around to reading your blog!

    This is a really enjoyable post and well written, and I thought the detail you put into describing the men. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete