Thursday 6 September 2012

Entropy

For those who read my blog, you may recall a post I wrote last month entitled 'The eye of the storm'. The post discussed how life can become very loud, busy and difficult on a whim - and that you should appreciate the fleeting moments of calm. Low and behold, last week life got hectic again. My time has been taken by a whole host of events;

  • Crises of faith
  • Family problems
  • Friend problems
  • Writing for other publications
  • Managing a pub
Trust me, the list goes on. Thankfully I am working through a lot of this and have stolen away enough time to keep posting here.

Recently, a few friends have been having troubles. I'm sure you can relate. One day, out of the blue, a friend comes to you saying 'oh, my life is terrible. Nothing is working out.' We've all been there, and we all know how it feels to have the world against us. Over the years, as friends and family have presented this outlook to me, I have looked for a way to help and put their fears into perspective. This is my method of dealing with things when life gets to be a bit too much. 

Imagine all the good things in life in a pile. Your friends, your family, your passions and successes - these all make up the good pile. Then consider all the bad things. All the debt, health problems, upset and loss - these all make up the bad pile. In times of crisis the bad pile can be enormous; almost too large to bear. Heck, next to the bad pile, your good pile is a speck of dust at times. However, and this is the important part, these two piles do not influence one another. No matter how large the bad pile is, it does not diminish the good things you have. Those good things are no less special, uplifting or life-changing.

Of course this outlook works the other way. Should your problems be few and your 'good pile' be overwhelming - the bad pile is still important. It is still significant, and it should still be addressed. What I stress is this;

Add to the good pile, and chip away at the bad pile.

Image Owner: Donna St. Pierre

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Thank you (: what did you think? It feels a bit hasty but I just wanted to get back to writing :D

      Delete
  2. I like this. It sounds like a good way of dealing with stress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - I figure everyone needs a way to put things into perspective

      Delete
  3. I love this post. Not only do I relate to it but I live it. My "bad" piles have been growing and making me very distraught. The other day I made a post visually expressing my sadness, with a thought provoking title. The next day my life turned around. The good pile is now out weighing the bad one, and has made me very happy. I know it is inevitable the my good one will dissipate and I will have to contend with the bad one. But for now, I am going to enjoy my "eye" in the storm. Good to see you back. Looking forward to your next post. Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As ever, I'm rather glad you can relate - and it is great to hear that life has turned around for you (: Things can always get a bit too much, so long as you realise the bad things in life do not diminish the good, you cannot go far wrong.
      I'll try to keep up the writing (:

      Delete