Friday 17 August 2012

Horizons

Name: Samuel
Age: 20
Passion:...

Interesting, isn't it? How no CV, job application or interview asks for your passion in life. While each wants to get to know you, they all manage to miss this most important question. Instead they tend to focus on the academic achievements of your youth, and the hobbies you keep presently."Why yes, I got three As in my exams, and my hobbies include golfing and walking the dog." 

Quite unfortunate really...

It is unfortunate because this is not the measure of a person. You are so much more than this. What I feel truly defines you, is your passion in life. Everybody has a passion. An aspect of the world which fulfils them. An aspect that acts as a driving force and as a foundation for dreams. I place great importance in passion. It is neither a letter on the page, nor, necessarily, a socially accepted past-time. Your passion can be anything - any aspect of the world you please. It is not defined by culture. Nor by race, religion or social standing. The only criterion your passion requires is your full and undivided enthusiasm and enjoyment.

My passion in life, I am sure you are dying to know, is travelling. I look out of my window and can picture the rolling hills, rocky crags and dense forests that lie beyond the horizon. More than that, I picture myself exploring them. Journeying and adventuring. And nothing makes me happier. The feeling of elation is one you'll fully understand if you too have discovered your passion in life. I find myself, on occasion, wishing I was born elsewhere. Somewhere more rugged and rural. Somewhere with lakes and woods, rather than takeaways and pubs - that would be ideal. Honestly, I do not feel I will be completely happy until I can spend the majority of my life travelling, and exploring my passion.

It has started raining...

While I enjoy the sound of rain thudding off my window, I cannot help but think about those distant fields and forests. It will be raining there too. More than that, it will be pouring - and the wind will howl. The storm, so easily deflected at home, will bear down on these wild places. And I long to be there, experiencing.

I sincerely hope that you can relate to this feeling. That you too are this passionate about something - anything. I hope that you have found your passion and drive in life. If you have not, then remember...

...it is out there.

Image Owner: daylong

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful prose my good sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly expressed. Beautifully written. Your words flow like paint from a brush onto a canvas. It's ironic isn't it? My passion as you have noticed is my art/photographic work. It's what defines and drives me in life. What's most intriguing is the point you made about how people want to get to know you, but then they are only interested in the facts. Anything else is irrelevant. Again you hit home with
    your words. Your response to me the other day, was so gratifying...sometimes it takes just one person, to make that sinking feeling inside to go away...and push on. I relate your articles very well. I subscribed to your blog. I hope you write a book. You're a very talented writer. I would love to read it. Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Donna (: I am glad to hear you can relate. I know exactly how you feel when your work is recognised, interpreted and paid attention to by others.

      I don't know about a book just yet, after all my writing is still in its infancy - but If I ever do, I may need some photos and illustrations :D

      Cheers Donna (:

      Delete
  3. Anytime. I would be honered. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there mister, it's more than a week and no new post. you were saying you'll be writing more, weren't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be writing more, yes :) However, I am in the middle of some exams right now. Parasitology the other day, immunology next week - so I'm trying to revise and pass those

      Priorities! (:

      Delete
    2. Exams?? At this time of year, are they resits? However, they sound interesting, especially the immunology one :) Good luck with them, hope all goes according to plan

      Delete