Saturday 4 August 2012

The Eye of the Storm

I have been sitting, considering my third post for over half an hour. There is no shortage of ideas - quite the contrary, I feel inundated with options and avenues to take you down. But as I explore the stories and opinions I wish to share, it hits me. A new firework of thought bursts into being. Bigger and brighter than what came before. My tales are put on hold - filed away. Ladies and gentlemen, we have our course.

I am somewhat surprised that it didn't hit me sooner...

 Like the majority of people, I have a job. It is a simple, old-fashioned job - I work behind a bar. Similar to everybody else's jobs, there are quiet shifts and there are busy shifts. Today's was a 'rushed-off-your-feet, sweating and gasping for breath' shift - with more customers than I have ever experienced. Customers who become increasingly drunk and increasingly difficult as the night grinds on.

"As a biologist I can't condone serving six more shots, especially after seeing you throw your guts up outside - but as a barman, jager or aftershock sir?" I resist the sarcastic commentary and pour the drinks. The night continues in much the same fashion, with the pace and the work becoming exhausting - I am thankful to finish.

So this is why I am surprised it did not hit me sooner. Sitting in my small room, curled up in an armchair - I am in the eye of a storm. I am sure you have also found yourself in such situations. Everything in life becomes loud and hectic, your attention being drawn in every direction. By working hard and striving forward you are able to earn some peace - some time to yourself. But this is just the eye. Things will build up again. There will always be turmoil and difficulty - they come with life. You will have to work hard, exert yourself and push forward.

And I sincerely hope you have the strength to do this...

However, my aim was not to wish you strength and luck. When I began writing I wanted to draw your attention to this quiet moment - this eye of the storm. When life's difficulties have you surrounded, screaming and shouting for attention, remember this. In this hesitant moment of calm, you have your health and you have time for yourself. Make the most of it. Disregard the chaos to come and the hardships already passed - make the most of this beautiful, serene, empty moment...

Because it too, will soon pass.

Image Owner: DaneLehman

1 comment: